Because I'd rather be sewing, of course!
But here it is, just for you, an update on my Mad Men Dress Challenge 2:
In the last progress post, I showed you what my muslin looked like after about a month of futzing around with my darts. I still wasn't happy with them. I tried using Gertie's method on changing the darts to be more flattering and I kept ending up very....nippley.
|Y U NO WORK MUSLIN?|
Well, I am happy to say that not only did I figure out the problem, but I have done A LOT.
After sorting out the nipple darts (which I may do a tutorial on another time), I had to futz around with the sizing by bringing the zipper in and out, again and again, and I had to fix the neck gape. When I was finally happy, I transferred everything to my pattern. Check it out:
|See how many times I changed the zipper placement?|
|A new shoulder dart to get rid of neck gape.|
|The alterations transferred to the front bodice.|
|I added the bust dart to get rid of my massive neck gape.|
|Check out all the alterations to the darts! And these are just the ones I put on the pattern. This doesn't include the ones I did on the muslin alone!|
|The alterations to the bodice back.|
|The new shoulder dart to deal with the back neck gape.|
Well, after getting to this point, I did even MORE stuff. Though I did not take many process pictures. So here is a quick run down with a few final photos:
Next I traced my pattern pieces onto some kraft paper to make new pattern pieces. I extended the back bodice on the new pattern pieces along the centre seam by about a 1/4 of an inch to account for the zipper width which would no long be in the centre back of my Mad Men dress. Then, I extended the front centre seam by about an inch to account for the buttons and button placket. After that, I drafted the button placket and a collar, both on my own! (Well, okay, I was using my sister's pattern drafting book to guide me. But I have never taken any sort of pattern drafting course of anything, so this is a big deal for me!) Then I got to work!
|The left side with the button placket sewn on.|
|The right side and the interfacing for the placket laying over top.|
|The back bodice.|
|And all together!|
Anyway, I can't wait to finish and show you my dress! So I am going to go work on it now. Right. Now. :)