Saturday 13 April 2013

Weekend Project: Pretty Planter


As my husband and dad work on our house this weekend (long story, see bottom), I found myself looking for something to work on. Trevor grabs a dusty basket from the hallway shelves leading to the basement that was there because sometimes I hoard things. (Okay, more than sometimes.)

He grabs it and says, "Why don't you plant some wildflowers in this?"

"You mean like our wedding ones?"

"No, go buy some, then you can take a picture today."

Not one to argue when the hubs tells me to go buy plants, I immediately set to work.

First, I grabbed said wicker basket.

Then I grabbed a plastic bag that I had hanging around.

Then I punched about four small holes into the bottom of the bag for drainage, placed the bag inside of my basket as a liner (so the soil won't fall out), and taped it in place. I know the tape won't last, but as long as it stays long enough for me to get the soil in, I'm good.
I'm committed to the little photoshopped flowers now.......
Then I put some soil in a bowl (all my buckets were in use for home renos), and poured enough water in to make the soil nice and moist.

I put a small layer of soil into the bottom of the basket.

And then sprinkled a small amount of chicken poo fertilizer in there to save myself the trouble in a month when I realize I've forgotten to feed my plants (which will happen).

Then I got my plants ready.

First, this lovely Campanula.
Aaaaand, I give up on the little flowers.
First things, first: I squeezed all around the container holding the plant in order to loosen it:
And the wee flowers are back.
Then, I tilted the plant to the side, and grabbing just where the plant meets the soil, I gently removed the container:
Voila!
Then, I placed the plant in its proper place in the basket.
Next, this cute little Erica Heather plant:
I then repeated the whole process until the heather was also in the basket.
Good. Next, I filled in all the empty spaces:
...with soil:
And that's it! Now you have a cute little flower planter to sit on your front porch!
Now just go to your sewing stash and grab an excess piece of fabric,
And tie a pretty bow around your new planter!
I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. It is uber cute and it is the only thing that is making our house not look like no one cares about the yard. I swear we do, but the whole lawn needs to be ripped out and quite frankly, we don't have time for that right now.

Which brings me to my next point: Wondering why I've been M.I.A. for over a week?

One: that interview, it went really well-- I got the position! So, I've been prepping for that a bit. I belong to a school now! Hurrah!

Two: As a supply teacher, some weeks you work a little (and get lots of blogging done), other weeks you work a lot (and get only a little blogging done). I worked a full week. Good, but busy.

Three: This:
Where the water was coming in.
 AND this:
Where the house flipper failed to support our second floor between the kitchen and dining room.
OH, and this:
Where the house flipper failed to support the second floor in between the dining room and living room, resulting in huge cracks along the walls in the second floor.
OH, but wait, I'm not done:
Here is my toilet and sink outside on my porch. WHY is it there, you ask?
Because this is what my bathroom looks like. Because the wood is rotted out and moldy.

Because water was coming in through the ceiling here also.
And because even though we were told the house was "insulated to the gills," this is how much insulation was in one wall, making this bathroom our second refrigerator in the winter.
So, I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me? Needless to say, I will never buy a "flipped" house again. And, trust me when I say that I am only showing you the worst bits. There are a million other little things wrong all over. But whatever. Live and learn?

So I will be doing a photo shoot before the 19th (obviously) for my Mad Men dress, it is just a matter of finding a good time. Worst comes to worst, I can post the one photo I took of it in the Mad Men pose, and do the rest after. Either way, I just want this insanity to end! Hope you all have a good weekend, we'll be in touch soon. :)

{Exactly.}

2 comments:

  1. what a cute basket and great tutorial! I love springtime for the flowers (and not the allergies!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maddie! I'm not usually a flower person, but it really does cheer up our front yard!

    ReplyDelete