Monday 1 April 2013

Grow Write Guild Prompt #2: Your Fantasy Garden

Unlike the last Grow Write Guild prompt, this one is pretty easy. Write about your fantasy garden. This is the garden you could have if you could have ANYTHING. I am almost certain I could write about this, feel satisfied with my response, read my response, and then realize that I missed twenty more things I would like to have in my fantasy garden. I'll try not to ramble too much. :)

The first three things that come to mind for my fantasy garden:

1. I would want to sprout a couch.
You know you want to!
2. I would want a wisteria tunnel:
Can't you just imagine reading a book on that bench there in the summer?
3. I would want an edible front lawn, preferably in raised beds like so:
Delish!
(At this point I am realizing I should probably just direct you to my Pinterest boards. Well too bad for you! I'm going to keep going!).

I would want a few cherry trees, a few apple trees, and a nectarine tree. But I'd settle for peach. :)
I would want to grow TONS of strawberry plants, including wild strawberries.
Source
I would grow red, white, and black raspberries as well (I'm currently working on this in real life).
Source
I would grow corn, beans, soybeans, spaghetti squash, red peppers, peas, asparagus, all colours of carrots, every type of cherry and sauce tomato, purple and Yukon Gold potatoes, zucchini, mache, purslane, spinach, cucumbers, celery, onions, shallots, garlic, and green onions, to name some off the top of my head.
Source
Oh, and because this is fantasy, I'd obviously have a bunch of pineapple plants, which I would eat in its entirety when fruited and then get massive indigestion from. Cause that's how I roll.
Source
I would have a pergola with all my edible vining plants, including some grapes:
Source
And I would have the coolest herb garden you've ever seen:
Source
 I would have fancy stepping "stones" for my garden path:
Source
I would have a bee hive,
Source: http://www.photo-dictionary.com/phrase/1788/beehive.html
and some of these for bees that don't live in colonies,
Source: http://shoestringgarden.blogspot.ca/2010/04/bee-house.html
and of course a bunch of flowers that the bees like.

I'd also have a bat box or two to invite those adorable furry flying mice to come and eat my mosquitoes:
Source
And let's not forget birdhouses:
Source
Source
I would have tons of succulents planted all over:
Source
Source
Source
Source
Source
And the rest of the space would have native wildflowers and grasses growing all over. That way my non-food garden can be water smart!
Source
But I would have one peony plant and one ranunculus plant, just cause I think they're puuurty.
Source
Source
And let's not forget rain barrels, bird baths, and composting bins.

I feel like I rambled. Sorry. I hope that I at least provided you with a bit of inspiration. I know it is making me want to try to tackle a few projects I've been thinking of for the garden.

What is in your fantasy garden?

{C-O-L-A}

14 comments:

  1. I love this fantasy garden! I especially love your edible front lawn; that is also my dream. My fantasy garden is more about what I DON'T want; you will find my notes on it here: http://whenitsathome.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/the-garden-in-my-mind/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think that edible front yard is from Drummondville, QC, which is nice to see is happening in Canada. I'll be reading yours shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fantasy garden.. if I could make an addition it would be a little cabin and the end of the wisteria tunnel for me to live in :)
    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! Or at the very least a little cabin at the end to use as a reading room, just filled with all sorts of comfy pillows and blankets, and a wood burning fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely! you just made me think of 20 things I forgot about in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures are a wonderful addtion to the walk thru your fantasty garden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the sweet compliment! I wish I really could make this in real life, that would be awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, it helps me to visualize everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate LittleAdelaide14 April 2013 at 05:27

    My hero! I never knew what those beautiful flowers were... Ranunculus! Pinneed to the board!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I could help! They are very pretty, aren't they? I first saw them in a bridal bouquet in Vogue and kept the issue because the bouquet was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! Love the Wisteria tunnel, but then that edible front yard photo came up and all I wanted to do was drag the hubby up to see what's possible (he still loves his patch of mostly mossy grass). You have so many great elements in your Dream Garden that I love. Thanks for the walk thru! (my Dream Garden: http://gaile.ca/617/my-dream-garden/)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, glad you enjoyed! I know, the edible lawn is awesome, right? Apparently, there are fights all over Canada and the U.S. between homeowners and their local governments over edible lawns like this one (!). Luckily, I think that in Niagara, they are pretty relaxed about stuff like this (that or my neighbours don't care).

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nature friendly home. I love your place. www.temeculaareahomes.com

    ReplyDelete