Monday 4 February 2013

Please Do Not Mi'Steak Me For a Regular Sandwich

It really has been too long since I've posted anything. The other night on our way home from work, there was a familiar sentence coming out of my mouth: "Man! I'm hungry!"

Now usually, at this point, Trevor looks at me and says something like, "Why don't you have a banana when we get home?" But not today people! That night he looked at me, "Me too."

To the grocery store!

We arrived there at 9:30pm when the following conversation ensued:

Trev: So what do you want to eat?
Me: I have no idea.
Trev: Well, do you feel like a sandwich?
Me: Not really. I don't want any deli meat.
Trev: Well, I'm having a sandwich.
Me: Well, maybe I'll get some bread. I dunno.
We walk over to the bakery section. Trevor gets his bread. We start to walk away.
Trev: Well, what are you going to eat?
Me: I don't know, because honestly, I could go for a steak right now. Or a mushroom risotto. But that's too much work.
Trev: So get a steak!
Me: Hmm...I dunno. I guess so. But I don't know what to have with it. Maybe I'll just get some bread to go with it.
Trev: There ya go.
Me: WAIT! .......Why don't I put the steak ON the bread?! Make a steak sandwich!?
Trev: And you could get an onion to put on it?
Me: Oh my gosh that's such a good idea!! Ooh! I'm excited now!
Trev: That sounds good, actually. I think I'll have one too.

And so this very fast and very delicious steak sandwich was born. Sometimes you just need a little bit of inspiration to take something simple and make it delicious too. Now, you might think that a steak sandwich doesn't need any directions because it is so easy to make. However, just try this once the way that we did and you will be grateful you did!

Ingredients:
-One onion (we used a Spanish onion because it is from Canada and we like to support our local economy, you should too!)
-One crusty baguette (Buy the best one you can. We use two demi baguettes which is fine also.)
-One large steak (Here we bought the cheapest steak we could. I normally wouldn't recommend doing this, because nothing beats a good sirloin, but since we were just flash frying it for the sandwich, nothing fancy, what we bought was fine. I think it was just a flank steak or something. Whatever you do, don't buy a marinating steak, or stir frying steak, unless you like your meat tough. It should be one large piece, and about 3/4 of an inch  to 1 inch thick).
-About 1 tablespoon of olive oil
-Red wine
-Salt and pepper

1. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
2. Rub the tablespoon of olive oil on to both sides of the steak. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. When the pan is hot enough, place the steak on the pan. Do not touch it for four minutes! Not one bit!
4. While the steak is cooking, slice the onion up into 1cm fat rounds.
5. After the four minute mark, flip your steak and let it sit for another four minutes.
6. While this is happening, cut open your delish baguettes.
7. Once your steak's done the second four minutes, remove from the pan and place it on a cookie sheet lined with a cooling rack. This is important because you want the meat to rest and if it sits on something that not only conducts heat but that is right next to the meat, it will continue to cook.
8. Take your onions and separate the round as you place them into the pan where the steak was. Salt and pepper the onions. You should have enough fat from the steak leftover to cook the onions in, but if you don't, add a little bit of olive oil (not a lot though!). The pan will not look pretty, but that's okay.
9. When the onions start to stick to the steak bits that have been left on the pan, grab some red wine and pour into the pan. You don't want a lot, just enough to lift the "gunk" off the bottom of the pan with some tongs or a spatula, and flavour the onions. Continue doing this as the onions stick. I had to do it three times. Once the onions are soft and translucent, but flavoured with the wine and steak, you can turn off the heat and prepare to serve!
10. Cut your steak into slices (it should be well rested by now), and place on your baguette.
11. Layer your onions over top and enjoy! This would certainly go well with some grainy mustard or some thin cheese melted over one of the buns, but since I can't have dairy, and I'm not crazy for mustard, I enjoyed as is!
Super simple, but the technique makes all the difference. The onions are to die for thanks to cooking it in the steak juices and lifting up the frond (the correct term for the "steak gunk" leftover in the pan) with red wine. I hope that the next time you need a good meal fast, you think of this!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment