Friday 15 February 2013

Daylight Come and Me Wan Go Home!

Can you tell I've been in a cooking mood lately? We've been trying to use up everything that is in our fridge, freezer, and cupboards lately to get them ready for spring. I know we have a long ways to go until spring, but it's good to get started now and take our time.

I've used this recipe since as long as I can remember. I don't know who gave it to us (I think it was one of my aunts), and I'm not sure where they got it, but I have no problem saying that this is the best banana bread recipe you will find. Hands down. So you need to try it.

Every time we buy bananas, if we don't eat them fast enough and the bananas start to get overripe to the point where we don't like to eat them, we stick them in the freezer (peel and all). So, not only is this the best banana bread recipe you'll ever try, it also prevents food from being wasted, which you likely know is kind of a big deal.

It is a weird recipe, but trust me, it is amazing! Oh, and did I mention it is dairy free? Just make sure you buy a dairy free mayonnaise (which is why I buy Miracle Whip or the non name similar ones). Here it is:

3 large overripe bananas
1 cup miracle whip
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour
optional: walnuts, chocolate chips, other fruit (like strawberries, blueberries, etc.)


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas
3. Add all other ingredients (except optional ones) and thoroughly mix to combine
4. Stir in optional ingredients
5. Line a non-stick loaf in with parchment paper and pour in your mixture

Trevor wanted strawberries in his bread.

I wanted walnut pieces.
 6. Bake for 50-60 minutes
All done!
 7. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before enjoying
"I'm delicious!"
It might feel a little underdone, even if you cook it for the whole sixty minutes, but that is okay. You do NOT want the crust to burn on this baby, even a little. So if it is underdone, that's fine, it is still tasty.

Perfect as a late night snack or as breakfast in the morning. And even though it is dairy free, most people I know eat it warmed up in the microwave and slathered in butter.

I hope you enjoy!

{Six foot, seven foot, eight foot, BUNCH}

No comments:

Post a Comment