Wednesday 12 December 2012

Oh Good Lord Don't Tell The Producers of Hoarders...

...Or those two ladies from How Clean Is Your House? Seriously. Just don't.

Recently, Sunni posted about the state of her sewing room. She shared with us all the disaster that is her room. She was totally burnt out and her sewing room reflected her state of being.

I just want to share with you that she is not the only one. The following is our sewing-room/office/boxes-that-seemingly-will-never-be-unpacked-room. Mayhaps it was Sunni's post, or mayhaps it is the fact that after almost one full calendar year of living in our house, there are boxes that remain unpacked, but I feel the need to post photos of the disaster area in question to motivate me to get rid of the junk and organize:

View from the entrance. Oh good lord.

A broader look into the room in question.

My mending/alteration pile. I'm just pretending it doesn't exist. And yes that is a copy of the Toronto Star from Obama's *first* election win.

My machine is supposed to go on this desk.....somewhere (it was downstairs for a quilting foray).

And I am supposed to sit on here when I sew?

Part of my fabric stash which clearly has gotten a little messy.
Dude! I just realized that this could turn into a wicked "look and find" game! Did you have those books when you were younger?

 I have to say, simply taking the pictures has forced me to make some progress. But I won't post the "after" photos until I am completely satisfied with how the room looks.

Believe it or not, I used to be (and still am, to some extent) a hardcore organizer and perfectionist. If my sister took something from my closet, I could tell you exactly what was taken. So what happened here? Well, when we moved in, all of the boxes with no homes went into here, as well as all of our teaching materials. Since we aren't teaching, that wasn't a problem. We also don't have wireless yet so we never have the computer up here either. Eventually, every time we had company, we would throw our "homeless" items into here and shut the door. After that, well, it was easier to leave the room be than to try to tackle it.

I've since started, and man, does it feel good. But there is still a long way to go. So we'll see. I'd like for this to be done before we leave for holidays, but I also have a cold to get over, packing to do, a house to clean, and Christmas presents to make.

Do you have a room in your house like this, full of unpacked boxes and other junk that you don't know what to do with? Do you have any projects that seem to keep requiring more and more work, encouraging you to start it less and less? How do you motivate yourself to get it done?

C

{Fleas on rats}

No comments:

Post a Comment