Tuesday 4 December 2012

It'sa ME, MA-rio!

So, I know this has been a long time coming. But here it is. The Princess Peach skirt!

Check out Harley's photobomb!
Unfortunately it was HELLA WINDY outside, so an outdoor photoshoot was not going to happen. Dining room will have to do!

Why Princess Peach? Well, the fabric pattern reminded me of two things: fish scales and Super Mario (because of the little hills and mushrooms, naturally). I thought about calling this the "Blurt Skirt" because "Blurt" is the name of the flying fish in Mario, and thus, I would be combining both of the things the fabric reminds me into one, but this skirt is so puffy and princess-y that I couldn't resist. I know Blurt Skirt rhymes, but I think Princess Peach would totally wear this skirt. Just sayin'.


So this is the basic dirndl style skirt from Gertie's tutorial. I bought the fabric, and was ready to make the skirt. I had my pattern pieces and everything and then BAM! I remembered seeing the skirt from the Collette Sewing Handbook and thought: Well, I want to make scallops, but scallops on the bottom would look odd going in the opposite direction of the hills in the pattern. I wonder if I can make the scallops on the waistband? Why the hell not!

So I followed their Easy Scalloped Hem tutorial and just put it on my waistband instead!

Because my fabric was a little see-through, I put another layer of cheap cotton under it in a punchy green. It made the skirt thick, but that's not a bad thing for a Canadian winter. Especially if I am making an effort to wear more pretty clothes during the day. I almost made this skirt reversible, but decided in the end that it wasn't worth the effort. Not when I wanted to wear it right away.
I also put a hugemongous hem on this skirt. I measured it out to where I normally wear my skirts but then thought that I never wear anything shorter. I decided at the end that since it is so high waisted, I might as well live a little and make the skirt a little shorter. I know, it's not really short at all, but it is a big deal for me! I got to try out my blind hem stitch setting! That was fun and useful to learn! I have been hemming my pants ever since this skirt!

Now for the good: Gertie's tutorial requires that the inner waistband be sewn to the skirt. I decided to try one of the hand stitches I learned in wardrobe and I am pretty happy how it turned out! Check it:
I know it is a little wonky in places, but overall, I like it! It makes the inside look puuuurty.

And for the bad: I rushed through the zipper. It was the second time I put in a zipper and I rushed it and effed it up. It is horrendous. I did such a nice zipper on the Jungle Dress and then, well, just don't judge me. I am still learning and once I made my mistake, I was not unpicking it. Luckily for me, the masive amount of pleating, for lack of a better word, hides this grotesque abomination. And I usually wear it with a cardigan. So no one has noticed. And I have sewers in the family. Hardcore sewers. But I will parade my mistakes with you so you know: Take your frickin time with your zipper! Een if you are going to a bridal shower in one hour and haven't even straightened your hair and are determined to wear your new skirt. Just trust me! Here is the monster:

So yeah. It is horrible.

But anyway, this skirt, being so princess-y, also puffs out like crazy when I stand on the heater in the winter to keep warm (Or sit on it while I eat breakfast. Every morning.). I think it is pretty funny.:
 I suppose I could just make a petticoat to have it always poofed out in it's puffy glory? Maybe in the new year.

Anywho, I wanted to post this about two and a half months ago and figured, you know, I should get around to it.

Also: This is the skirt that I spoke about in my post, The Ugly Side of Looking Pretty. Just thought you'd like to know. Cause the skirt is not even that short!

But I digress.

I am itching to get back to reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, so I will presently go do that!

See you soon!

Carlee

{apple cider}

No comments:

Post a Comment