Tuesday 30 April 2013

Grow Write Guild Prompt #3: Ch-Ch-Changes

I can't believe I'm two weeks behind in my Grow Write Guild prompts! Aye Carumba! Well, yeah I can actually. Things have been nutty around here. But that is okay. I'll survive.

So in case you haven't heard, for Grow Write Guild Prompt #3, we are to write about are garden RIGHT NOW. So, I'm going to unplug myself from the wall and take you outside so that we can discuss.

.................................

.............................................................

..........................................................................................

........................................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................................

Alright. Here I am sitting on my side porch steps on this beautiful sunny day. I'm going to try my best to do this one without photos since last time my post was all photos. I should also say that two weeks ago, my garden definitely did not look like this. We have been having a proper spring for the first time in ages, and so things have been growing. Also, I bought plants and I started planting my goods this past weekend. So oh well, deal with it. :P

To my left is what I affectionately call my "flower" garden. It is a small space, about 7 feet by 2 feet. In it, I have two yarrow plants that I originally planted at my parents, but have since transferred over to here. They are lush and green and starting to spread more than last year. I also have the green Chicks and Hens that Lourdes let me swipe from her mom's garden last year. It has produced a number of offspring, of which, a few have been plucked and planted elsewhere in this garden. I have three reddish-brown Chicks and Hens, which I bought a few weeks ago, as well as A new super clustered bright green one, and a clustered red tipped one, which I picked up this past weekend with Trevor from our favourite greenhouse. I also have a newly acquired Stonecrop that seems to be making itself right at home.

Now comes the interesting bits. While at Canadian Tire last year, I saw that they had some "Ontario Natives" plants hanging around. I picked out the best two plants, but that's not saying much. They were pretty sad looking. I bought a Mayapple because I had read that it is an edible wild plant (I have been really interested in foraging recently and have been able to identify a number of plants out on hikes!). I was pretty sure it died last year, but low and behold this weird thing had popped up in the soil about a week ago. It is now standing tall with six lovely leaves. I can't wait until it flowers! I hope it bears fruit! Also sitting rather handsomely in this garden are some fuzzy purple flowers. This too was one of those Canadian Tire destined to die plants. I really did think I killed this one too. Don't ask me what it is. I have no idea. Until today, all that was there was five dainty flowers, perched upon their stems. Today, one leaf has decided to make an appearance. Whatever this thing is, it is welcome back next year.

Above this garden is my kitchen porch planter box. Nothing is standing out of here except for sticks to denote what will soon (hopefully) be asparagus and green onions. I hope both the asparagus and the green onions take over this planter box in the most unruly ways.

To my right is another garden, about a foot and a half by about 11 feet. In order of closeness to me: a peony plant is sprouting up (I swear it was 6 inches shorter this morning!); three garlics, a foot high; two sticks denoting future onions; an unruly rose bush that has yet to produce a rose for me (not that I care for the flower much); four more garlics; something I did not plant, maybe Hostas?; a fresh little golden raspberry stalk; a garden gnome; a single pretty yellow tulip; loads of red raspberry leaves springing up from the ground and loads more on the plant stalk I left in over the winter.

To my "two o'clock" is the garden that we dug up last year. The place where the tomatoes took over. It is barren. I haven't gotten around to planting here yet! But I will!

In front of this, three black mismatched containers are barren also, but they hold more onions-to-be.

Shall I walk to the front garden window box? I shall!


...........................................................................................................................

.................................................................................................

What do we have here? Oh hello, peppermint! How are you chocolate mint? Howdy banana mint! What's shakin' spearmint? Sup chives?

And under that, not even in a garden, just loitering from the previous owner in my "lawn" (mud patch), four beautiful red tulips and a spattering of daffodils.

Sigh.............tis spring.........   :)


And now....I must go clean some stuff up, get crackin' on my school stuff, and try to squeeze in my current house project.

Enjoy the beautiful weather!

{And enjoy this lovely tune.}

No comments:

Post a Comment