Sunday 10 May 2015

Hot Cocoa v3.mom

I can't believe it has been so long since the Dog Lady wrap up already! The weeks have been absolutely flying by at lightning speed now that the nice weather is here.
I have been getting quite a bit sewing done, but as I've mentioned, it has been moving very slowly since I'm working on two very big projects. Hopefully I'll get around to showing you a few in progress shots soon because otherwise I am going to disappear for a few months again. And that's no fun, now is it?
I did, however, manage to put aside some time this week to complete another Hot Cocoa for my mom for Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there! Happy Mother's Day to my mother! Word to your mother.
I bought some ponte knit off of fabric.com, in charcoal and in this funky Aztec print. For my past two versions, I kept the sleeves, body, collar, and cuffs all the same, but for this one, I used the two fabric to break up the print and give it more interest. I really like how it turned out!
To be honest, the quality of the fabric isn't super awesome (the more I sew with cotton, the less I like polyesters), it is a little thinner than I was thinking it would be, or at least the Aztec one is, but the print is nice. It should make a nice spring/fall transition piece.
I also added 1.75" to the width to the front and back bodice pieces, 4.5" to the length of the original bodice pieces (update: which I think may be a tad bit too much now that I've given her the top and had her try it on), 1" to the sleeve width, and I sort of winged it with the collar piece. I also added a little piece of ribbon to the collar to make a tag. I think it adds a nice little touch. I hope she likes it!
Did you make anything for your mom this Mother's Day?

{You mothers}

1 comment: