Sunday 12 May 2013

Spring in my Step

Hey! So, first of all, welcome to my new followers! After participating in Julia Bobbin's Mad Men Dress Challenge 2, I got new peeps following me! (Yes, I just said peeps.) You have no idea how giddy I got when I saw that. Like, I did a dance. Hurrah!

So onto the new goods. TONS of stuff has been happening in the garden that I am dying to tell you about but it will have to wait because I find that my plant photos need more tweaking to look like real life than others on my camera, and Photoshop takes time. I am also supposed to be working on a quilt but, honestly, with the complete lack of free time I have currently with this my new job, it is just not happening. So maybe in the near future. It depends on what my future at this school looks like.

But this, this I can talk about and have it be quick. It hardly took any time to make!

After the dress challenge, I decided that I should start using some of my fabric stash to make some cake. Since moving into this new teaching position, I have realized that I have lots of dresses, skirts, and dress pants to wear to work, lots of cardigans and two nice blazers, but no T shirts for underneath (I don't really like wearing blouses or fancy button ups).

So after seeing a T that requires no sleeve set-ins on The Quirky Peach, I went out and bought me a pattern.

Although it was an easy make, I took my sweet time and finished it in a week. (!!!!!!!!!) Relax, relax, it probably took about 5-6 hours from cutting out the pattern and pressing the fabric to finish. Having said that, it is only because I wanted to be very thorough with this make. I wanted the topstitching to be neat and I didn't want any sort of puckering or anything.

I made a straight up size 12. I think it is a bit too big overall, and I still have that damn neck gape thing happening, especially when this is paired with a cardigan, but that's okay. I'll still wear it.
Like my earrings? A friend of mine made them. They are STUNNERS.

Because I used a woven cotton instead of a knit like Sally, it kind of looks like a potato sack unless styled the right way. I know I look like a bumble bee when I wear it with the black ribbon and pants, but it at least accentuates my waist a lot more, which, you know, is nice.

I've already worn this bad boy three or four times since finishing it in the last week of April. That's a good thing.

I think I'll probably make it again, but since the school year is winding down, I probably won't make another one right away. I want to maybe make this my first foray into knits. That or I'd like to alter the pattern extensively before a reboot. PLUS, I still have my navy blue and polka dot fabric, AND I went fabric shopping this past weekend. Best part? I used a gift card from my birthday (like eight months ago) so I got 4 metres for like $9! JUST WAIT TIL YOU SEE IT.

In other news, I joined twitter. I'm not really sure why to be honest, because I joined a week ago and still haven't tweeted. I don't really feel like the world should know my every thought (a.k.a. what I had for breakfast, when I exercise, and links to pictures of cats, you know, just the important stuff), but I can't help but notice that some very friendly ladies in the sewing blogosphere have twitter accounts and geeze, I'd like to be friends with the cool kids. So if you want, tweet at me @carleemct? Is that even how you say it? I am not even that old but man, I just don't know what's going on haha. All this new fan-dangled technology!

OH! And just so you know, I took these on my front porch. Every time someone walked or drove by I tried to nonchalantly look like I was talking to the dog or something so I didn't look crazy. Eventually, I gave up since my neighbours probably already thought I was crazy and just decided to give 'er. So here is me making an arse of myself for your entertainment, in front of complete strangers:
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Anywho, I hope you enjoyed this mini make. This are about to get crazy up in here for May. Musical, stag and doe, paperwork galore, kickfit instructing, renovations, painting, blah, blah, blah. Things *should* go back to normal come June, and I'll be able to catch up on all the posts that are waiting to be made.

In the meantime, enjoy the nice weather (if where you live has nice weather currently)! Toodles :)

{Enjoy}

5 comments:

  1. I think this looks nice on you! I even like it without the belt because the black is slimmer on the bottom so the wider top balances it out. Btw: new follower here, found you through the Refashionista blog. Would love it if you passed by my new sewing blog and followed. I also have a threads magazine giveaway right now if you'd like to enter!

    Reyna
    http://mysewinghabit.blogspot.com/2013/06/threads-magazine-junjul-2013-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The thing is I usually wear this top to work and my work pants are dressy trousers so they aren't as slim as my skinny pants and they don't really balance out the way they do in these photos.



    It's nice to know where I get followers from! I am always curious, but never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I see! Well, that just means you have to sew up another one! "Slim fit", that's always good right, sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shape of this tee and I love the colour too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I think it will be the perfect thing to cheer me up on cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete