Thursday 6 June 2019

Spring Cabbages



I've had my eye on this Kaffe Fasset cabbage fabric since I first saw it at Modern Bee, had it in my stash for years, and finally, two years ago decided to hold my breath, grab my scissors, and cut.


The pattern is my old fav, Simplicity 1873. I wanted to change things up a bit, though, so I altered the neckline in both the front and back.


For the front, I changed it to a sweetheart neckline. Since I was making this for a fancy wedding, I won't lie, part of the sweetheart neckline decision was to get the girls "out there". My biggest mistake while putting in the sweetheart neckline was not initially interfacing the neckline. I tried it on and found that the neckline didn't hold it's shape due to the lack of support and so I had to go back in there between the main and lining to apply some fusible to support the neckline shape.

For the back I thought I would try just a simple V neckline, which was easy to do.


The skirt is a full circle skirt, with pockets (of course!) added for practicality. I hemmed using horsehair braid, my still fav method.

As I mentioned, the fabric is a Kaffe Fasset quilting cotton. For the lining, I used a royal blue Bemberg Rayon that I still have from when my local Fabricland closed.


For the wedding, I made Trev a matching tie, and I must say that we look pretty cute when we are out and about in this combo.


Other than that, there's really not much to say about this beauty. It's one of my fav makes to date just because the pretty fabric flatters my skin tone so well. We took these photos along the Niagara Parkway when the cherry and Magnolia trees were all in bloom. Spring along the Parkway is always lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment